· Serbia and United States will meet for the third time at the World Cup. Both teams won once.
· Serbia won their first meeting in 2007 by 3-1. United States won the 2011 match in straight sets.
· These teams met in this year's World Grand Prix, with United States prevailing in five sets in the preliminary round.
· Serbia's last win against United States at a major international tournament came in the Final Round of the 2013 World Grand Prix when they defeated United States 3-1.
· Serbia lost their 2015 World Cup opener to China (3-1). In their previous two participations (2007 and 2011) they won their opening match.
· The Serbians outspiked China in that opening match (62-49), including 21 points from Brankica Mihajlovic.
· Serbia are one set shy from winning their 50th in the competition. They can become the 10th team to achieve this feat.
· Reigning world champions United States won their opening match of this year's competition by beating Korea Republic in straight sets.
· United States can win the first two matches of a single edition for the fourth consecutive time.
· The win over Korea marked United States' 50th win in the competition, the fifth team to reach this mark.
· Foluke Akinradewo was the leading scorer for the Americans in their opener with 15 points: nine spikes, two blocks and four aces.