· Peru and Algeria will meet for the first time in the World Cup.
· Their last match-up at a major competition was at the 2010 World Championship, a 3-0 win for Peru in the first round.Peru
· Peru will make their ninth appearance in the World Cup. They are yet to win a medal, with their best result being a fourth place finish in the first edition in 1973.
· Peru have either equalled their final standing from their previous participation or finished lower since that fourth place finish in 1973: 4 (1973) - 5 (1977, 1985, 1989, 1991) - 10 (1995, 1999) - 11 (2007).
· Peru are on an eight-match losing streak in the World Cup, their longest ever in the competition. Their last win came back on 4 November 2007, 3-0 against Kenya.
· Algeria will participate for the second time in the World Cup, after an 11th place finish in 2011.
· They have won one of their 11 World Cup matches so far, a 3-1 win against Kenya.
· Apart from that one win against Kenya, Algeria have claimed just one set in the World Cup, losing 3-1 to Argentina.
· Algeria could become the first African country with multiple wins in the World Cup. Kenya can also achieve this feat.