· Japan and United States have met on seven previous occasions in the World Cup. Japan have won four times and United States three times.
· The last meeting in the World Cup was in 2011, when Japan defeated USA 3-0. This is also the last victory by Japan against United States in major competitions.
· These nations met twice in the 2015 World Grand Prix, with USA winning both meetings 3-0.
· Japan have won six of the 10 World Championships meetings with United States and three of the five at the Olympic Games.Japan
· Japan beat Algeria 3-0 on Friday to record their seventh win of this World Cup season. They need one more victory to equal their record number of wins in one season, as they won eight in 2011.
· They can equal their record number of straight set victories in one season. In 2011, they won seven matches by a 3-0 score line. They now have six straight set wins.
· Yuki Ishii was Japan's top scorer in their match against Algeria with 13 points, 10 from spikes and three from serves.United States
· United States (W7-L2) are in fourth place on the ranking behind Russia, China and Serbia. They have qualified for the Olympic Games in each of the last three World Cups (2003, 2007 and 2011).
· Their 3-0 defeat against Russia ended a streak of six consecutive World Cup wins for the Americans - all by a 3-0 score line - since a 3-2 loss against Serbia on 23 August.
· The loss against Russia also meant their first straight set defeat in the competition since losing 3-0 to Japan in 2011.
· United States have not lost consecutive World Cup matches since losing two in a row in 2003, against China and Brazil.