· These teams have met in every single edition of the World Cup, making it the equal-most played fixture in the competition alongside Korea against Cuba (11).
· Japan won the first five encounters (1973-1989), Korea the following three (1991-1999) and Japan the last three (2003-2011) of the previous 11.
· At the London 2012 Olympic Games, these teams battled for the bronze medal. Japan won 3-0.
· Japan have won the last 25 meetings with Korea Republic at major international tournaments. Korea's last win came at the Athens 2004 Olympic Games.
· On Sunday, Japan defeated Peru 3-0 to improve their track record to five wins and one defeat in this tournament.
· Their only defeat at the 2015 World Cup came against Russia (3-2 loss) on 23 August.
· Japan have now won their last four World Cup matches, including three in straight sets.
· They have won 10 of their last 11 World Cup matches.
· On Sunday, Korea suffered their fourth defeat at the 2015 World Cup, a 3-0 loss against unbeaten Russia.
· Korea have now lost their last three World Cup matches, including their last two in straight sets.
· Korea can lose three successive World Cup matches in straight sets for the first time since 2011, a run which included a 3-0 defeat against Japan.