· Japan have won all of their previous seven World Cup encounters with Peru.
· Peru's last win over Japan at a major international tournament came at the 1990 World Championship (3-0).
· The Peruvians' most important win over the Japanese team came in the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games semifinals (3-2), reaching their first and only Olympic final in women's volleyball. They claimed silver after losing to Soviet Union in the final.Japan
· Japan were pushed to their limits last Thursday, defeating Dominican Republic in five sets.
· They finished the first round of this World Cup on four victories and one defeat, their only loss coming against undefeated Russia.
· That 3-2 defeat against Russia was Japan's only defeat in their last 10 World Cup matches.Peru
· Peru lost 3-0 against China, which meant they fell to one win and four defeats at this World Cup.
· After winning their opener 3-0 against Algeria, the South Americans endured four successive straight sets victories.
· Since that victory against Algeria, Peru have not registered more than 19 points in any of the 12 sets they have played since in the competition.