· Japan defeated Dominican Republic in their previous three meetings at the World Cup - 3-1 in 2003, 2-0 in 2007 and 3-0 in 2011.
· Dominican have lost their last eight meetings with Japan at all major international tournaments - World Grand Prix (2010, 2011, 2012, 2015), World Cup (2011), Olympic Games (2012), Grand Champions Cup (2013) and world championship (2014).
· Dominican Republic last win over Japan came at the 2009 Grand Champions Cup (3-1) which followed a win in the 2008 World Grand Prix (3-0).Dominican Republic
· Dominican Republic have won three matches in a row at the World Cup for the first time by beating Cuba 3-1.
· In that match against Cuba, Dominican Republic had four players reaching double figures - Prisilla Rivera Brens (12), Yonkaira Paola Peña Isabel (11), Gina Altagracia Mambru Casilla (11) and Erasma Moreno Martinez (10).
· Dominican Republic can win at least one set in four successive World Cup matches for the second time after the last two matches of 2007 and the first two of 2011.Japan
· Japan beat Kenya in straight sets in their last match to record their tenth straight set win in their last 14 World Cup matches (W11-L3).
· Japan can win four of their first five matches at a World Cup tournament for the first time since 1995.
· Japan have won at least two sets in each of their last nine World Cup matches. This is their longest streak of World Cup matches with at least two sets won since recording 12 in a row between 1991 and 1995.